Tuesday, May 5, 2009

311's Uplifter: A Nick Hexum Interview (myMag)

“You’ve changed your tune many times, since we met/ But I always recognize you, you are a part of me…” The opening lyrics of “Hey You” off of 311’s new album, Uplifter, could easily describe how any longtime fan feels about the band that is constantly mixing things up. Over their nine album career, 311 have managed to marry rock, reggae, funk and even metal into a sound that can only be identified as their own. myMag had the opportunity to catch up with 311 frontman Nick Hexum to talk about his new album and his new outlook on life.

Uplifter is your ninth studio album, and 311’s first in four years. You’ve said that working with producer Bob Rock has made this record your heaviest work to date, can you expand on that?
I have to quantify that because there’s a new type of heaviness, but there’s also some of the most beautiful, heartfelt “Amber”-esque love songs. Bob lives in Maui, where our reggae plays quite a bit. So that’s the first thing that he loved about us. He was like, “I don’t want to change 311. I just want to bring out the best in 311.”

What propelled you towards this new direction?
Considering that we’re 19 years in as a band, naturally certain patterns appear - some might say a rut developed. Bob has a very strong personality. He’ll come in and say, “That’s great that you guys used to do it this way, but we’re going to try to do it a totally different way.” He really just shook things up in a way that we needed.

Did you retreat to your private island of Melody Key to get into the headspace for this album?
Yes, I did. For me, retreating to nature is very inspiring. I’m not the type of person that can write well when I’m in a bad place. I went down to Florida by myself with my dogs and I’d write a song a day. That was very helpful in the latter half of the album.

The subject matter is fairly autobiographical. There are love songs; there are songs about struggling with different issues; there are songs that talk about what it’s like being in a band. It’s a very honest album. That’s what I always strive for, revealing myself.

What inspired the lyrics to your single “Hey You”?
That song is a love song to music. It’s talking about how music has been a good friend of mine, seeing me through good times and bad times. You know, I’ve been through some crazy stuff. My love of music has always been the first thing to pull me through it.

Have certain bands helped more than others?
I go through a lot of really rapid phases. I’ll go through a hip-hop revival where I’ll start finding out about all different facets of rap. A few years ago, I was all about underground power-pop like Jason Faulkner and Brendon Benson and The Raconteurs. Then I went through a bluegrass phase where I was checking out The Avett Brothers and Nickle Creek.

Every time I read an interview and talk about what music I’m into, I’m in such a different place. That’s the great thing about music: it’s a never-ending journey. You’ll never be done, you’ll never master it. There’s always more stuff to explore. Lately, I’ve been in a metal phase. I’ve been jamming to new Slipknot and Lamb of God.

Speaking of metal, you’re playing with Theory of a Deadman tonight. How’s your spring tour going? Oh, it’s been awesome so far. We’ve gotten to play a lot of different places we don’t always play. Like this amphitheater today, Orange Beach Alabama, I had no idea there was even an amphitheater down here or a beach for that matter.

Does the band have any good luck rituals before you hit the stage?
We always kind of stack our hands in the middle. We usually say something funny if there’s some kind of running joke. Whatever it may be, it may be a reference to the food we ate that night or some weird characters we met. We always have a lot of humor on tour.

This year you also have another Unity Tour. I actually caught you guys last year in Philly with Snoop Dogg, which was incredible. Have you kept in touch with Snoop since then?
No. Snoop kind of leads a different life. He’s just the nicest guy. Whenever he’d see me he’d be like, “Slick Nick.” That was a really great experience. Ziggy Marley on this year’s Unity Tour is going to be awesome as well. He always puts on a great show, and he’s a really great guy.

Just that man’s bloodline alone, wow. Can your fans look forward to some of those drum jam sessions this year?
Yeah, it’s become a part of the show. It’s a nice little break to put down the guitar and get to go just beat on the drums. That’s the fun part, and it breaks up the show into two halves. That’s definitely a staple of our shows that I really look forward to.
Now, some congratulations are also in order. I heard that your wife is pregnant. It’s definitely very exciting for the 311 community to hear that there’s going to be a little Hexum rocking out soon enough.
[Laughs] Thank you.

Do you think that being a father is going to change you as a musician?
I’m sure it’ll influence me in ways that I can’t even anticipate. I’m just so excited about it. It’s something that I’ve been wanting to do for a good while. You know now, finding the person that I want to do it with is just an awesome blessing.

I don’t think it will affect the actual touring schedule because we tour in a comfortable way, so I’ll be able to spend as much time with family as I need to. Being in a band is hard work sometimes, but you actually have more free time than other jobs. So, I’m sure I’ll be able to manage it.

With so much going on in your life between your music and your family, how do you manage it all?
It’s fun to collaborate with other bands, but I was getting a little too busy and I’ve decided to simplify my life. One way it was explained to me was to take the top 10 priorities of your life and drop the bottom seven. We live in a day and age where we just clutter up our lives so much. I’ve been in a simplifying phase where I just like being in 311, being healthy and having time for a family.

Is there any kind of motto that you live your life by?
I’d say Henry David Thoreau’s book Walden really spoke to me. He said, “Simplify, simplify, simplify.”

No comments:

Post a Comment