Friday, April 24, 2009

The funky, positive vibes of 311 (St. Augustine)

It's been nearly two decades since five guys from Omaha, Neb. came together to form a hybrid band of rock, reggae and hip-hop. 311, named after the Nebraska police code for indecent exposure, consists of singer/guitarist Nick Hexum, singer/DJ SA Martinez, lead guitarist Tim Mahoney, drummer Chad Sexton and bassist P-Nut. Friends since high school, the multi-platinum quintet's success and longevity can be attributed to a slow-growth, grassroots development including constant touring and a no-defeat attitude.

The Omaha-natives have sold more than 8.3 million albums (in the U.S. alone) and had numerous Top 10 Billboard singles like "Down," "Love Song" and "Don't Tread On Me." The guys are currently on a U.S. tour in support of their ninth studio album, Uplifter, set for a late spring release via Volcano/Jive Records.


Five Quick Questions with 311 bassist, P-Nut:

Compass: How's the tour going?

P-Nut: Great. We're on our fifth show I believe, so hitting our stride I hope.

Compass: What's the best part of playing music for a living?

P-Nut: That's hard. I mean there would be many many things. I met my wife while I was on the road, so that's one.

Compass: The band celebrates 311 day (March 11th). How was it this year?

P-Nut: We celebrate 311 day on every even number year, so this year we just did a bunch of interviews and just got mentally prepared for going out on the road this time.

Compass: When you helped form the band, did you ever think this would be a 20-year-long gig?

P-Nut No. I don't think anybody could've thought that. I'm sure we all hoped it just because we all enjoyed and still do enjoy being around each other so much and playing songs and seeing what the next step will take us.

Compass: 311 is a hybrid of multiple genres. Are there any sounds you would like the band to explore that you haven't?

P-Nut: Um, I don't think so. I don't know if there's a style that I think we haven't hit that I would enjoy. I mean it would be fun to play with an orchestra some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment